Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Off to the powdercoater!


Size medium prototype arrived yesterday. The frame looks fantastic, the workmanship is just beautiful. Because the seat tube is thin-walled where the top tube and mixte stays join, I asked for a reinforcing sleeve to be brazed over the seat tube and then the top tube and mixte stays attached to the sleeve - it looks really classy.

This frame has a more masculine look than the smaller frame - the tubes are slightly larger in diameter (but thinner wall) so it's both slightly lighter as well as beefier in appearance. Since this is a Furry Blue bike, I was planning to have it powdercoated a dark blue, something like RAL 5002 - ultramarine blue. It's hard to judge color, and there are limited stock color choices (of course, if I custom order, then there are lots and lots of powders). Anyway, I chickened out on the blue - the 5002 sample just didn't look right, and they had a "Satin Titanium" (Prismatic Powder 1860) that caught my eye, it's got just a hit of champagne gold so it's not quite silver.

I hope it will look nice.

No comments: